Do you ever find yourself caught in the same eating habits? Do you fix yourself the same breakfast every day or do you eat in the same two or three restaurants near you? Or do you order the same lame turkey sandwich no matter where you eat?
It may satisfy you in the short term, but it can suffocate in the long run. Not only will they limit the amount of nutrition, but they will also prevent you from discovering new things and having new experiences.
Still, many people are unsure how to branch out or discover and try new foods that go beyond the boundaries of their interests.
Types of “strange” foods
If you are worried about “strange” food, don’t worry. There are many broad categories of foods that can challenge your taste buds and introduce you to new flavors, including:
– Novel sweets and packaged foods. First, you can try some of the new packaged foods that you can find on supermarket shelves. For example, you can try candy buttons or other rare and nostalgic sweets that remind you of the past. If you walk along the right supermarket aisle, you will find similarly strange products in other categories – such as frozen dishes or canned goods.
– Exotic ingredients. You can also broaden your taste buds and find new things by looking for exotic ingredients from other countries and other cultures. You may find some of them in the ethnic aisles of a local grocery store, but you’d better find them in niche ethnic stores near you.
– Experimental recipes. Alternatively, you can try new foods by combining familiar ingredients in an unusual way. Even simple, strange recipes can meet your taste in a unique way, like the increasingly popular peanut butter and cucumber sandwich.
– fads and temporary runs. Sometimes big brands like to experiment with different flavors, new recipes or creative new perspectives. For example, you might find a potato chip that is flavored with ketchup, or an ice cream that tastes of wasabi.
The benefits of trying new foods
Branching out to find new foods has several advantages, including:
– Create an unforgettable experience. Even if you end up hating the new food you’re trying, you’ll still remember the taste – and the overall experience of eating it. These novel experiences are good for stimulating the mind and giving you many good memories that you can wear indefinitely. This effect is amplified when you eat new types of food on vacation or when you experiment with your loved ones with new culinary treats.
– Introduction to new tastes. As a child, your parents probably said to you, “You don’t know what you like until you try.” The same applies to you as an adult. When you try strange foods, you occasionally discover an exotic taste that you really love, and you can incorporate it into your normal rotation. This is particularly important to take into account, as human taste and smell change with age. Over time, we lose taste buds and become less resistant to strong flavors.
– Understand new cultures better. If you buy ingredients from other regions of the world or try a recipe from a different culture, you may have a gate to better understand that culture – especially if you are willing to do additional research. You can learn that there is a ritual method of preparing this particular food or that this food has special meaning for a certain group of people.
– question your assumptions. You might immediately assume that you don’t like certain types of food, such as eel or durian, but this is not necessarily the case. When trying new foods, you have to question your assumptions and better understand your own taste.
– Open your mind in other areas. It’s an important lesson to try a meal you think you’ll hate and like it in the end. Once learned firsthand, it can help you open your mind in other areas of your life. If this is done consistently, it can permanently change the way you see and experience the world. For example, you may be more willing to try new films, meet new people, or visit new places that you would not normally know.
How to find new, strange foods
If you want to see these benefits, the next step is to find new and strange foods. There are several ways to find these ingredients, recipes, and manufactured products, but these are some of the best:
– Talk to connoisseurs. If you know someone who sees themselves as a connoisseur, or if you see them eating lots of different foods and visiting many different places, start a conversation with them. Ask them for instructions on unusual foods that everyone should try. It’s an easy way to get recommendations. And you can count on them to share some of their favorite experiences with you.
– Look in the corners of your supermarket. Your supermarket is likely to stock some products you have never imagined and you can find them if you know where to look. Avoid the main aisles and go to an unknown area – and check every item on the shelf both above and below your main line of sight. You will probably see things you have never noticed before.
– Visit local ethnic shops. One of the best ways to find new and exotic foods from around the world is to visit local markets owned and operated by people of different cultures. For example, you might find a Vietnamese store with ingredients that you would never find in traditional stores in the United States.
Once you’ve tried a “weird” food that you really love, you won’t have any problems motivating yourself to find other interesting foods in the future. Invite your family and friends to join you on this journey and discover more overlooked gems from around the world.
Do you wanna tell your strange story Tell us about it and it could be featured on Oddee. You can remain completely anonymous.